Are you a psychologist, psychotherapist, psychiatric nurse practitioner or certified in (ortho)pedagogy? And do you have at least 2 years of clinical work experience? Join our MHPSS team as a volunteer! With our medical team, you will contribute to humanitarian care in an inhuman environment.
As an MHPSS volunteer, you will play a role in the Boat Refugee Foundation psychological support mission in the Mavrovouni camp in Lesvos. Many of the people who live there are struggling with mental illness.
Our team provides mental health support to adults, focusing on increasing their strength and capacity. We meet people as real humans, taking their identity, knowledge and skills as the starting point. Because we believe in equality, we collaborate as much as possible with the camp community. They fulfill an indispensable role as interpreters during our missionary activities.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
In addition to medical care, we also provide mental health support for adults. As a volunteer, you will be assigned within our MHPSS program; we will take into account your personal skills, knowledge and experience as much as possible.
Here are our current MHPSS activities:
- Emergency psychological help;
- Anti-stress group sessions, offering people tools to help them reduce stress and relax, and (re-)discover their own strengths;
- Social rounds in the camp, during which we conduct easily accessible conversations, offering people a listening ear and information about camp services;
- Individual coaching sessions;
- Training of internal and external staff members on psychological support and Psychological First Aid (PFA). You will be trained yourself: we offer our volunteers training in Method for the empowerment of survivors of trauma and torture (METS) Open groups, psychiatric problems, PFA and other relevant topics.
In addition to these activities, we seek your support for administrative tasks and other (practical) activities to facilitate the smooth running of our programs on Lesvos.
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- You have at least 2 years of relevant clinical work experience, including working with (cross-cultural) groups;
- You are able to manage emotional and conflictual situations and separate work from personal matters;
- You are independent, but also aware of the limits of your skills and know when to ask for help;
- You can hold on and you are physically and mentally healthy.
- You are willing to perform different tasks and able to adapt to a changing schedule;
- You can work well with people from different cultural backgrounds;
- You have obtained a relevant degree (professional or university higher education);
- You are fluent in English;
- You are available for a minimum of 2 months (preferably more);
- You hold a B driving license (you will have to drive a manual car every day).
WHAT IS THE STRONG PROS IN A CANDIDATE?
- You have experience in supporting people with serious mental disorders, including panic attacks, psychoses and suicidal tendencies;
- You have work experience abroad;
- You have already worked in a refugee camp or a reception center for asylum seekers;
- You have experience with mindfulness and relaxation techniques;
- You speak French, Arabic, Farsi or Greek.
COSTS AND CONDITIONS
The existence of Boat Refugee Foundation depends on the many volunteers and donors, without whom we could not do our work. Our financial resources are mainly devoted to medical and psychosocial care. This is why we ask all volunteers to pay for their own travel and accommodation. We have a volunteer house in Lesvos where you can stay for 10 euros a night. After a month you can stay here for free.
How to register
ARE YOU INTERESTED?
Do you recognize yourself in the profile above and would you like to work with us as a volunteer? Then register using the form on our site. We look forward to your response!